Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Still Waters


This well is far too deep, deep and black,
a watery void.
These grey aging stones cling onto the surface
with bitter ambition.
Old and darkening adorned with olive-green mosses.

This well was built by my hands,
each stone laid under a waxing moon.
I am fated to drown beneath its brown shameful waters,
waters that flow so deep they touch
the very Past, Present, and Future.

I will sink ever further through stagnant tides
with my lungs overflowing and my eyes blind.
Sinking past the places beyond
the light of the living world

I will touch the solid core of the Earth with cold lifeless hands and wish that I did not feel.






Hello everyone 

'Still Waters' has been on my blog before - that was three years ago though (I don't like to put the same pieces on more then once).  It's in 'Alchemy' and is one of those poems that I always go back to whenever I read anything about depression. 

There is a reason I have shared this poem today. I know it's a bit late but 10th September was Suicide Prevention Day and I came across this poem The Morning after I Killed Myself by the very talented Meggie Royer. It really touched me and seemed to do the same with so many other people as it was shared around social media a number of times.

I have really struggled with depression during my life, although thankfully I have never had serious thoughts of suicide. Only the people who have suffered themselves will understand how it feels. 'Still Waters' is based on my own feelings and experiences with depression in that it sucks you under, smothers you - and not something you can 'get over' or stop feeling. 

To anyone reading this blog who is struggling with depression or any metal health problems I send you lots of love...



Happy Wednesday 






No comments:

Post a Comment