Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Whales, Butterflies & Sorrows


“My sweet Eve,
If I could I would have placed my ear to the ground, heard you thousands of miles away thumping out a tribal greeting, wishing me a fond farewell.  If I placed my lips so close to the earth and cried my messages back to you, would they intercept? Would our words have collided, splintering somewhere under the vast Atlantic, creating bubbles and ribbons of steam that rush to the surface, skimming past silver finned shoals and deep coral beds. Breaking free on the ocean surface, our words would speak out, answering each other’s questions, our voices and accents over the misting waters where no one could hear my words for you, except maybe a journeying whale coming fast to the surface to inhale the cold northern air, our words inside the whale could mingle together with salt water and compassion, and flints and flecks of emerald tinted butterflies could be seen gliding high when she exhales in a white tipped spray........”




Hi everyone, this is a short excerpt from Vignette 3 'Whales, Butterflies & Sorrows' of the play 'Dragonflies in Amber' - written my myself and my Mum. 


‘Dragonflies in Amber’  explores the inner world of a woman named Eve (who represents all women).  It sets out to question her beliefs on love, hate, desires, longings, childhood events, hidden talents, confidence etc. through the world of lucid dreaming. When we are young we are naturally connected with our emotional and spiritual selves but slowly lose touch with this aspect of ourselves as we ‘grow up’. This play questions what women may have lost by ignoring their inner world.

I've been thinking about how writing gets lost, it receives little attention and it starts to collect dust - I have a few pieces like this. 'Dragonflies in Amber' is a beautiful play that deserves to be seen! It would probably be classed as 'magical realism'. If you have the time to read it please do and if possible leave a small comment. If any writers are reading this they will understand the frustration and sadness of that wall of silence - when you have written something and no one seems to want to say anything back to you.

On a more positive note I have had my flash fiction 'Old Norse' on Word Bohemia. It's a great website with some very talented writers featured and the editors are lovely people. I'd also like to welcome my newest follower - I'm now up to 34 :)



Happy Tuesday and if you have any Irish blood (like me) I wish you a very Happy Saint Patrick's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment