Thursday, 1 January 2015

New Writing of the Month for January ~ Red Wine & Frost

http://favim.com/collection/16409/

'There is something so wonderful about snow when it falls in urban landscapes, something utterly silent that hints of a deeper meaning . There are legends that thrive in every town and city when the first snowflakes appear and ours was that of the red headed woman. Created from the first hard frosts and melting away with the snowdrops, most people only saw her briefly and always just out of view - maybe disappearing down an alley or into an abandoned house.

What so haunted people was that she was as quiet as the snow, never making a sound as she walked dressed always in white with her dark red hair falling down her back like red wine, mingling and changing to fade into the red brick houses. She never spoke but moved in silence, elegant as a bird in flight. 

To some she would smile and the chills that wove their way along the skin of those she chose was enough to invoke a fascination for life. The Winter Woman, Snow Queen, The Redhead – she had as many nicknames as befitted a mystery as herself. Never aging, every generation had a story to tell of meeting her. As always there were those that didn't believe and created tales to scare their children  - but those that had a rare encounter with her were never quite the same.

I first saw her as a child just eight years old deep in snow on the street front, the snow suspended in my tight gloved hands, melting slowly and numbing my small fingers. Suddenly she was there standing in front of me. I had not heard her approach.  More amazing then they had described - she was as beautiful as a fairy tale. Silently she lightly touched the red brick walls of our  house, patterns and shards of frost raced along the walls forming the most intricate images. Smiling at me she turned on her heel and walked back the way she had come. I stared after her until the falling snow blurred all edges. I realised the snow I was shaping had stopped melting and my hands were warm and dry.'





Hi everyone and a Happy Prosperous 2015 to you all! 

I hope you all enjoy this 'Red Wine & Frost', it's the next one after 'A Season of Half-Light' - I wanted to write a flash fiction about every season encapsulated in a person. I've put the pressure on myself now to carry it on and have a Spring and Summer one too - it's strange thinking what sex a season would be? or what a season as a person would look and act like? but it's great to get creative with :) 

I've had a quiet Christmas and New Year as I'm still recovering from being ill, I'm catching up on all the sleep I missed. I hope you all had a wonderful festive period - any New Year resolutions?



Happy New Year!





No comments:

Post a Comment