Thursday, 11 December 2014

December



www.thereallygoodlife.com

In a vision I have white skin of cardboard
ridged and man-made, 
lacking in touch.  

A deep December cold is moving, stalking  
up my hollowed back misting around my shoulders,  
closing in to my whitewashed neck,  
forming glittering ice upon my pallid lips. 

My words slip from frozen sentences.  

I can witness only a blue room  
in which I stand rooted into the earth with soil between my toes  
running ice crystals along my skin,  
tracing my veins my slowing pulse,
to find my outstretched hands, 
to form frozen prayers at my fingertips.  

In a vision 
this is my natural state 
as I hold my breath  
and wait, 
unmoving, 
preparing to shatter.






Hi everyone

'December' is from my collection 'Silver Threads' and I thought I'd share it today - I don't think I could have shared it any other month with a name like December lol I've also changed the spacing from the original version in 'Silver Threads'.

It's a bit complicated explaining the inspiration behind this poem, I think it's obvious it doesn't come from a good place and as usual with my writing it's a mixture of emotions and nature/seasons. Anyway I like it, I love the imagery and atmosphere in it.

My flash fiction 'Poppies in the Snow' was on Morgen Bailey's Flash Fiction Fridays on 6th December, as always it's lovely to be on her blog again :) 

I'll be back closer to Christmas with something festive (hopefully) if not I'll just post a short 'Merry Christmas' to you all. Our tree is up now and looking beautiful, my cat Tomas doesn't seem interested in scaling it (fingers crossed that lasts lol) I'm looking forward to a lovely Christmas with my family - the first in our new home. 



Happy Thursday 







No comments:

Post a Comment