Tuesday, 1 April 2014

New Poem of the Month for April ~ Exposure

http://www.pinterest.com/jennaalexia/paper-art-house/

'My sleep pattern has turned the way of the weather. Cold and wet, broken, disturbed with an encroaching frost that slowly taps at the windows before the first light, but my sleep is turning into a madness that runs for days and the nights are becoming one. I cannot trust my body to know what is best anymore.

Living under this roof that seems as thin as paper, a frosted sheet separating us from the stars, I exhale steam in a constant fog watching the roof pull and billow in the wind. The weather lives in this place, the clouds are gathering in the kitchen.

Ice is forming in the bedrooms on our faces and arms as we sleep unfurling across our skin like forest ferns. I cannot escape the turn of the seasons, they are just a room away, settling, gathering, collecting force. I live like my ancestors, primed and knowledgeable about the subtlest changes in temperature, knowing instinctively my land, my country and the skies.

I cannot survive forever living like this.

I could die of exposure on the wet boggy floor of the living room, with the walls painted in a grey midnight rain and the elements bearing down on me, all the colours leaking out into the sky. '




Hey everyone, the first is here again :)

This months new poem is a bit of an experiment. 'Exposure' is a prose poem (I hope lol) I have been sharing some of my writing on Google+ and joined a discussion about the definitions of poetry and prose, it seems lots of people have their own opinion, it could send the sanest person mad! Here is what someone shared with me to explain a bit more - Prose Poem 

It explains that a prose poem is a poem without the structure of typical poetry - I think I always did my own thing when writing poetry or prose anyway, I didn't follow many of the rules lol 

I hope you enjoy 'Exposure', I think there is some powerful imagery and emotions in it. It was written at a very bad time in my life and the feelings that comes through of being exposed and vulnerable are frightening.

I have had a mad couple of weeks since my last post. I am still unpacking, shifting, gardening etc. Also my computer decided that enough was enough and nearly died on me! It's a writers (or anyone that lives on their computer) worst nightmare - 'fatal system error' is just horrifying to see. My computer has been having 'hiccups' for a while so I have been saving everything to my emails, so I wouldn't have lost anything major. I though it was the end, I was picking the flowers out! lol Thank goodness for a tech savvy Facebook friend that helped me through, it works now but I think it's time I found its replacement :/ 

I have good news! I am very happy to be a part of Morgen Baileys Flash Fiction Fridays again with my flash fiction piece 'Drawings' (a brand new one) this Friday (4th April) - I will share the link in my next post and on Friday on my Twitter and Google+ . I also wanted to share last years New Poem of the Month for April - In their soft footprints... Tom, - it is now the centenary of the start of WW1 and my great grandfather Tom was a part of it. Last year I dedicated National Poetry Month to a series of poems about my ancestors, it was a great experience and I think they deserve a second look :)

NPM #2 ~ In their soft footprints ... Ada

NPM #3 ~ In their soft footprints... Phoebe

NPM #4 ~ In their soft footprints... Mary

NPM #5 ~ In their soft footprints... John

NPM #6 ~ In their soft footprints... Leah




Happy Tuesday 






No comments:

Post a Comment