Saturday, 21 December 2013

Yuletide Blessings!


'They start just before the midnight chime as the frosts begin their ethereal weave between
the houses.
Leaving rosettes of ice on every window the soft lights reflected in their black unreadable eyes.
Scratching, gnawing, the small feet pressed against hard key stones, tails curling and twitching with an insatiable lust to get to the other side. They listen to the well wishes, the seasonal good will, the smallest witness of the colourful atmospheres as they scuttle between the pipes as the moon falls through a deep December morning. Keeping a silent vigil during the longest night of our year, knowing but not believing, that the sun will turn again. It’s all promises and promises worth keeping that could see us looking for the mice that would walk unsteady across the evergreen branches.'



Hi everyone, a happy Yuletide and Solstice to you all :)

This piece of prose which doesn't have a name yet is probably about as festive as my writing gets! lol I don't tend to write about specific things, my writing is mainly fluid and dreamlike, touching on many things. It once again started life as some automatic writing - I was sort of daydreaming, I was thinking about Christmas and mice for some reason and this is what came. 

When it came to finding a picture for this post I realised how popular mice are in the image of Christmas - there are recipes for making festive chocolate mice, children's Christmas stories about mice, they seem to be everywhere and of course there's the most famous line of any Christmas poem... 

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.'  

                                                                                               A Visit from St. Nicholas by Clement Clarke Moore (1822)


In other news earlier this month I received a lovely email from a woman called Ruth about my post - Last Poem by Anthony Woodville

My attempt at photography
"Thank you not only for the poem, but for the wonderful explanation. As you say, the poem is difficult to understand, but with each reading I understand more and more. Have a great day! Ruth" 

Thank you again for the lovely email Ruth, you really made my day! Maybe I should think of writing more blog posts about my favourite poetry and offer my unique explanations.

Also I am honoured to once again be featured on Morgen Bailey's writing blog in the New Year (3rd January) with a new flash fiction called 'Light Shadow' - this one has a slight sci-fi feel to it. I hope you all enjoy it and don't forget the podcast of 'Old Norse' will be live 29th December - Morgen Bailey's Podcast List (Episodes 32 & 33 feature my flash fiction pieces 'Blackbird' and 'Eden')

Have a wonderful festive week and a prosperous 2014 :) 


2 comments:

  1. That's a very good piece of festive writing Jade and it's great news to hear you're being featured again on Morgen Bailey's blog. I'll have to pop over there next year to take a look. Well done.

    I'm wishing you and your family Seasonal Greetings and a very Happy and prosperous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rum

      I'm glad you enjoyed the festive prose, I still haven't got a name for it lol

      A Happy Christmas & New Year to you and your family too :)

      Delete