Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Prose Pieces ~ Deep Sleep and Origami



'Sleep is like a breeze that comes in the front door and leaves through my bedroom window, taking the paper birds I made with it. 

Illusive, sleep is impossible to grasp and hold, it visits and leaves when it wishes. I tried once to trap sleep in a paper lantern, lit with a tea-light so it would not be afraid of the dark. It circled my white lantern, blew out the flame and flew away laughing at my childish musings. 

Next time I will try a rice paper lantern in light blue. I will trick sleep into believing it has been encased in sky and I will take it to the circus, dance in a dark velvet tent pin pricked with silver stars and sleep will follow me, run through my hoops, revel in the applause and bow low to humanity.'




This is an automatic writing piece that turned into a prose piece. It's a great fantastical bit of writing isn't it, I don't know where these ideas comes from sometimes - I guess I like to play with reality! :)

I thought I would like to do a bit of promoting of others poets/poems that I have discovered and loved. I found Rowyda Amin through Twitter, had a nosy around her website and had a read of her poems and just absolutely loved them! 

I especially loved her poem 'Sanatorium' - a dark but soft and comforting poem and 'Insect Studies' is a vivid, imaginative, colourful poem that stuck in my mind for a long time. I think she is a greatly talented writer and I love the way she makes her poems feel familiar, sometimes nostalgic with a hint of other-worldly magic. Plus she is a fellow 'Poet and Blogger' as she says on Twitter, so you couldn't get much better. 


Happy Tuesday 



2 comments:

  1. Nice. :) I like how you tried to trap your sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, it's lovely to see you here from Google+ and I'm glad you enjoyed this so much :)

      Delete