Friday, 25 January 2013

Prose Pieces - 'A Collection'


'She was one for collecting. She collected anything with a face; dolls, teddies, cards with wide smiles, reflections, drawings and sketches. She even had a chest full of memories, of faces from other peoples loved ones all sewn onto a cloth of yellow, fraying at the edges. 

I never thought this was odd, but she was a conversation waiting to happen. I was always offered a mirror when I went to her house and she asked me to make a face into the glass, once it was a look of love, a dark look of jealously and a look of a half remembered joke. She then stored them away like a grey tinted magpie. 

I wondered if this was because she had no emotions herself, she borrowed the thoughts on peoples faces to wear as her own. She once greeted me with a childish look of surprise and another time invited me for tea with a matriarchal look of superiority. I couldn't help being fascinated by her - she was my greatest friend and I loved her just as she was, with or without those borrowed expressions.'


Hello everyone, I hope you enjoy reading 'A Collection' - A piece of automatic writing turned prose piece. I wrote this back in October and came across it the other day and polished it up a little bit, I was even inspired to write a poem based around collecting faces/expressions. 

I'm afraid I don't have much else to report, January is dragging its heels and being a very, very quiet month. I will hopefully be getting another two reviews of 'Silver Threads' soon, I'll let you all know when that happens. Life must be giving me some quiet time to get all my writing projects finished and tidy up all my writing files on the computer (well that's the plan anyway lol)

Have a great weekend :) 

4 comments:

  1. A very nice piece of writing Jade. I liked it. January might feel quiet but use it with wisdom (like you're already doing) because you may end up with months of being run off your feet, super busy etc. When you are busy, you'll be thankful that you sorted the writing files on your computer. Mark my words, I've learned from my mistakes many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely compliment, before I wrote it I was thinking about people who have vast collections of things and remember thinking 'what else could you collect if anything was possible?'- it all started from there.

      I will take your advice and see this quiet period as a good time to get things organised. I'll give myself till the 1st of February to get it all done :)

      Delete
  2. Like you, I'm constantly inspired by ordinary everyday people and things. Marty Rubin (aka nothingprofound) once said something to the effect that each of us is so unique, we're like races unto ourselves. I enjoyed this piece immensely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helena, it's so great of you to come read and leave a lovely compliment. I'm so glad you enjoyed 'A Collection' - I think its an odd but very likable piece :)

      Jade x

      Delete