Sunday, 1 July 2012

New Poem of the Month for July - Sanctuary



















Sanctuary

Enfolded into,
his arms, his
scent of sugared dark earth
His taste of,
fresh salted caramel.
The colour of,
young green wood,
sun warmed,
aroma of baking bread.

His smell is enticing,
on my tongue, heightened
I experience his stubble,
on the inside of my lips.
His skin is lightly spiced,
brushed with
love and ripening promises.


I wrote this poem a few months ago now and it is obviously about my husband Carl :) 

I wrote it late one night when I was really tired and I came to bed and curled up next to him, this poem is more sensual rather then sexual.
I don't know if it's all men or just Carl but when he is asleep he just smells wonderful! lol Odd I know! but it's also about that moment when you are completely safe, wrapped in his warm arms and unconditionally loved. I lay there in bed with this poem forming in my mind and trying desperately to describe this moment and his comforting smell. A lot of the descriptions that came to mind contradicted each other, but still wove a great image :)

I hope you all enjoy July's new poem of the month and also the picture, which I think really encapsulates the poem. It is from the film Orlando by Sally Potter (based on the book by Virginia Woolf) and it's one of my favourite films.

2 comments:

  1. Great poem! I'm a new follower from GoodReads. I would love a follow back!
    http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candace, thank you for your lovely comment, I'm glad you enjoyed it and it's great to connect on here with people from Goodreads. Of course I will follow back, we have to all help each other :)

      Delete