Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Glass Butterflies



Childhood dreams fluttering
as radiant and fragile as glass butterflies.
So short and beautiful,
those sun-kissed days of summer.
Evenings filled with transparent wishes
and innocent musings on love.



This poem was written on allpoetry.com for a picture prompt contest. The picture above wasn't the picture that inspired the poem. The original picture was a black and white image of a child and the contest holder wanted something short. I really do love this poem. Writers are always asked (well at least novelist anyway) how much of their own personal experiences go into their writing, I've never heard about this being asked to a poet but it should be! 

I think that I have captured part of my own feelings about my childhood in 'Glass Butterflies' I sometimes remember vividly the things I used to believe when I was younger and how strange they seem now but at the time they seems so concrete and 'real'. Once on Christmas Eve when I was about 6-7 I would have swore I saw the northern lights of the north pole bringing Father Christmas. It wasn't until a few years later that I realised that the 'northern lights' were the lights from the factory not far from us! lol 

Things in childhood are short lived and fleeting, just like butterflies. 

4 comments:

  1. So short and beautiful...I love this. I think you captured those moments quiet well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawn,

      Thank you for following and commenting :) I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

      Jade

      Delete
  2. Jade, a lovely poem, short but with a lot of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rum-Punch Drunk

      I'm glad you like this. It's a lovely little poem isn't it? even if I do say so myself. lol

      Thanks for visiting and commenting :)

      Delete