Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Automatic Writing

It was that magical moment when the first word lay heavy on the page, feeling its own existence. I would start from that word and follow the rest until they became fluid, liquid and follow the images into caves and between meanings. 
She came dressed in lime green, held my arm and whispered of trees that knew so many things. She was born on a Wednesday during a burning heat that lasted for weeks and fell out of love on a Sunday. She talked with her mother for hours, of cream coloured letters, she was unique and varied.

I knew her when she was ready, she was nervy, promising me that she would take me to Tunisia to count the grains of sand and blow them into a picture of her and me and that that would be perfection. She was the hunter of perfection, she told me once that she found it between the panes of glass in a window when it rained. She said it looked like a snowflake in its infinite perfection. 

It lasted for days and grew in the window pane until she told it she forgot to believe and it snuck away. Fantasy always lives just under the fingertips of those who don’t fight the printed inch, weave words as thin as skin and bright as snow. 


This is an tidied up version of an extract from my automatic writings the other day. I sat down and I felt the need to write, usually when this happens there is an idea floating about in my head and I feel the need to finally get it down onto paper. But in this instance I had nothing in my head so I decided to just start writing anything that came to mind and see where it took me...

Automatic writing can be used as a great tool in many ways. It is great for venting feelings of anger in a safe way. I also imagine it's a great way to think things over privately, just you the pen and the paper, mulling over ideas and feelings you wouldn't want to share with others. Some people even use it to talk to God or whatever/whoever they believe in, it is true that it's a amazing experience and you feel like you are connecting with something else other then your creative side. I would love to hear from any other writers that have used it to help in their writing.

For me the other day sat at my computer, typing away, it felt like a release. A release of all the bits and bobs of creativity that never find a home, never become part of a poem or piece of fiction, but still exist in my head. It also felt like a warm up, the only way I can describe this is like a singer warming up their voice before a performance or an athlete stretching and running on the spot. Everyone accepts that you can't go from dead on your feet to a manic work pace in an instant! lol Anyway I hope you enjoy my auto-ramblings, it's a strange view into my mind but I really do love the imagery I have captured along the way. Some parts may even find their way into a new poem and fulfill their destinies, who knows!

 

6 comments:

  1. My journal is pretty much a place for automatic writing. I write commentary about the day or various ideas, but sometimes I go rogue and automatic. It's definitely a comfort zone. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa
      Thanks for the compliments :) I definitely think that automatic writing can be a comfort, it was a great thing for me to empty my head! lol It's great to know that other writer use it.

      Delete
  2. Cool post, Jade. Although I've never really thought about automatic writing before, I do a fair amount of it...an idea floating around in my head takes shape on paper. Those are actually some of the best writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, thanks for the comment. Maybe most people use automatic writing without even realising, interesting thought. I'm glad you liked it, I'm planning more posts in the future about my automatic writing :)

      Delete
  3. Automatic writing is how I get some of my best ideas! Great post! I'm a new follower! If you would like to follow me back, it's http://17hnak.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haley, thank you for visiting and commenting, I'm glad you liked the post. Thank you for following me of course I'll follow back :)

      Delete