Tuesday, 12 June 2012

My first attempt at writing Micro Fiction




It was her sense of love that called to them. The lifeblood in every gracious stride and the defiance in every strand of nut brown hair that curled down her back. Men gravitated towards her and tried in desperation to hold her, trying to claim that aura of hers that glowed with perfection. The quote she lived by was ~


‘The dark is more than a lack of light, clarity. It breathes as deeply as any ray of sunlight’

Everyone had their different opinion about its meaning, she told them they were all wrong but she never explained why. She said they had to work it out themselves and that that was the meaning of the quote and maybe the key to life. She told everyone who would listen that she was told this quote by a traveller from India, translated from the Hindi, and that he saw a sign that day to gift this quote to the first person he thought worthy. So on that day, sat next to a fountain, she was given the words to live her life by, from a traveller clothed in white.


This is my very first attempt at writing micro fiction. I was intrigued by flash fiction and wanted to know what it was, so I looked it up and it sounded right up my street! There were so many different definitions about what was and wasn't classed as flash fiction and there are so many disputes over the word count, some say 500 words or under, some say 1000 words! So I thought I'd play it safe and call my attempt mirco fiction, it seems to fit more into that category anyway.
I am really pleased that I have found this outlet since I have always wanted to try my hand at writing stories, but I always run out of steam. So this is perfect for me, I love the short snappy, voyeuristic element of just suddenly stumbling across a fragment of a story. It keeps you always wanting more.
I'm very pleased with my first attempt, there will definitely be more in the pipeline. I'd love to know what people make of it and possibly give it a title! Any comments welcome :) 

 

2 comments:

  1. You should join sixsentence.ning.com !! I friendly place to write pieces no more than six sentences in length ; there is no limit on semi-colons ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,
      Thank you for commenting. I will definitely check out the website, it sounds great :)
      I'm quickly developing a big interest in flash/micro fiction.

      Delete