Sunday, 13 May 2012

Heavy Heart

Heavy Heart

Somewhere between the death of a tyrant,
and the pains of an oncoming spring
my heart died just a little.
With frantic beats and thick white scars,
its panic was like the desperate fluttering of a trapped bird.
The pain in my bones was like colourful lightning,
a starlight red fading to a gasping aftershock;
too many memories I was trying to forget,
my poor heart was weak.
This is not how my story ends,
there will be a day when you are forgotten.
This is my poem 'Heavy Heart', written in February 2011 when I was having problems with my blood pressure and was sent by my doctor for a heart scan. Thankfully everything is fine now but it was quite scary at the time and I did have chest pain, and it did feel like 'colourful lightening'.
I wanted to share this today because while emailing a friend who writes very similar to me and discussing poetry she told me someone had asked her if she had Synesthesia?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia  
Basically this is a neurological condition were suffers see numbers as colours, see smell as colour etc When she told me this I instantly thought of this poem and the line 'The pain in my bones was like colourful lightening, a starlight red fading to a gasping aftershock' I thought it was a near perfect example! Also I had said in an earlier email to her  'I especially love turning things like an emotion or a feeling into - a memory, a smell, a taste etc. - making something solid into a fluid'. So maybe I have synesthesia? I just think that's how you make poetry fun and interesting. Why say something simply when you can mix it up and change a feeling into a smell? What would sunshine taste of? What language would the stars speak to us in? Maybe it's just me :) 
This is another of my poems that will be included in my upcoming ebook 'Silver Threads' It's so close I can almost taste it! lol Getting very excited now that it's so near!

No comments:

Post a Comment